Friday, May 7, 2010

Two cool things: Beasts of War and Mantic Games

Ok ... quick mini gaming related news which might be new to some and old to others ... 

First I'm sure many of you know about the BEASTS OF WAR guys who do Youtube reviews of gaming (mostly minis) related products. They do quick detailed reviews of a large variety of mini gaming related items and the seem to keep about as up to date as Tabletop Gaming News. I don't know how they do so many reviews ... its pretty amazing. Anyway good source for info on new mini gaming related items check em out ... Beasts of War!
The main reason I mention them is they have a several reviews of Mantic Games products.

Mantic Games to me is very exciting along with Wargames Factory Plastics ... whether your a Games Workshop game fan, or an RPG fan who uses minis in their game or even a historical gamer (though Mantic hasn't done any historical stuff yet) these companies should be of interest. They are producing some very high quality plastic miniatures at generally lower (in the case of WFP much, much lower) prices than most of the other big mini producers out there ... mainly GW. Now don't get me wrong ... I'm a GW fanboy through and through ... but I'm also a gamer on a budget as many of us are. I like to stretch my gaming dollars as far as they will go. Both of these companies are offering entire armies worth of figures for well less than a hundred dollars. In the case of WFP you could get a couple of armies worth of figures for that price. 

For the DM out there who wants an undead horde ... both of these companies are doing very affordable undead hordes. WFP has some AWESOME modern zombies for super cheap and Mantic is doing a big undead empire. As for RPG figure opportunities WFP has Romans, Celts and Vikings with alot of promising stuff on the horizon. Mantic currently has High Elves and Undead and I believe they are doing a dwarven army next. Anyway I plan to pick up figures (if not entire armies) from both of these companies very soon. I think this is a very good sign for 28 MM miniature fans ... more companies moving into this area is really nice to see. Affordable plastic minis has been a dream for a long time ... finally looks like it is becoming a reality :)






































3 comments:

Aaron E. Steele said...

the ghouls look pretty neat. i'm in the market for ghouls, but i can never find any that seem to fit the AD&D MM illustration

The Lord of Excess said...

Ya I was excited when I saw those too and the skeletons also the modern zombies. We have done several Savage Worlds zombies games where we ended up using silly minis to represent zombies ... sandpeople the last game i believe ... lol. It was funny ... but I'd have preferred to actually use zombies.

Charisma Keller said...

You can never have enough minis...