Friday, September 24, 2010

Obsession with A song of Fire and Ice ... WINTER IS COMING!



For years I've heard how good these books were from most of my friends ... between work ... family stuff ... gaming ... and a passion for reading non-fiction dry old history books (the history major in me never dies it seems) I just never got around to it. Well several months ago when I heard that HBO was doing a Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin  ... I finally bit the bullet and read the books.  I just finished the 4th book "A Feast for Crows" and thus far I'm very much in love with this series. I've actually already started thinking about gaming in this universe ... unfortunately the available RPG stuff is somewhat hard to find ... I do plan this winter to utilize yea ole Amazon.com and pick up the Green Ronin RPG ... the original RPG put out by a now defunct Canadian company. As for miniature gaming ... we've been talking about using WHFB or Warhammer Ancients or possibly even Armies of Arcana and running a campaign.  At any rate I'm happy I took the plunge and read the books prior to the television series ... I'm extremely excited it appears as though the cast is top notch ... its being done by HBO which bodes well and it sounds like Martin has been somewhat involved in the adaptation (though not the actual production). Good all round! Something to look forward to this winter for sure Winter is Coming!! (that link is to a really good blog that has a very comprehensive amount of info on the production, the cast, shooting info, etc. etc. its huge and very detailed! Check it out ... well worth it!!).

Addendum: 
My biggest worry honestly is that GRRM won't actually FINISH the series ... he apparently has stalled on the 5th book ... and there are at least two after that more that need to be written but knowing him probably 3 to 4 (The Winds of Winter and a Dream of Spring) ... the guy is over weight ... 62 ... clearly preoccupied with traveling and doing geeky stuff (can't say I blame him there) ... so be warned if you haven't read these books ... you might come to a frustrating end. 





4 comments:

Trey said...

I'm looking forward to this as well. The series looks cool, and the books are great.

MIK said...

The are pretty laborious, but worth every sentence...though I've shied away from the fourth one so far. Thanks for posting these clips, it's looking like it won't disappoint!

MIK said...

Arrrgh, the *books* are laborious...BOOKS!

:)

The Lord of Excess said...

Ya the fourth book was a chore ... worth it in the end ... but I do agree that at points you just feel exhausted from what is going on in the story, etc. for me I think that feeling was intensified for me as I read the books, back to back to back ... and by the time I reached the fourth book (I read them all in less than two weeks) I was really beginning to feel the weight of the story and what the characters were going through. So next A Dance with Dragons and then ... a long wait for The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.