Monday, July 19, 2010

First game of 40K in a LOOOOOOOONG time ...

Well the struggles ... trials ... tribulations ... to get decent mini gaming back into my life seem to be finally paying off. I played my first game of 40K in quite some time. That entire quarter of the board is my Ork Horde (fully painted no less! once I get a proper display board and get some of my auxiliary units done up like the loota boyz and tank busta boyz along with the battlewagons ... I'll get some photos up) ... it was 1750 vs. 1750. Sorry that I'm not doing a full battle report, but honestly this was the first game out for both my opponent and I since last summer. We are both potentially decent players, but we were rusty as hell and  had some herky jerky ... stops and starts as we looked up rules or got things wrong, etc. That said though the game was AWESOME!!



We both made a few tactical errors that we likely wouldn't have made had we been back in the swing of things. We got a couple things slightly wrong (like him shooting at units with other units after they'd gone to ground, etc.). 


Though the setup favored the Tau (as you can see NO terrain that really offered much cover) ... we were playing an Annihilation mission. We went a full 6 turns and I barely pulled out a win (5 to 6). As you can see my list is basically Ghaz and lots of boyz with Ghaz in one truck with 10 nobs and a warboss in another truck with 10 nobs. My opponent was running an ultra shooty Tau list with 2 pathfinder squads, 2 hammerheads, a lone broadside, 1 min sized fire warrior squad and two squads of Kroot. It was in some respects my worst case scenario ... and I would have bet money each turn that I was doomed ... but da ladz proved me wrong and managed a victory anyway. Really fun times ... some tweaking will occur on my list ... but I'm not running Orks to win games ... that matters not to me ... being a bad ass at 40K is like being good at picking your nose ... its a nasty habit and rather pointless.  

I'd rather just enjoy games and have fun. I strive to make viable lists that give my opponent at least a bit of a challenge ... but I vastly prefer playing a somewhat thematic army at least loosely based on the actual backstory of the game. I also prefer to be running a fully painted army vs. another fully painted army (I'm working on the folks in the group to get their stuff painted ... we are doing paint nights, etc. ... we'll get there).  All this said it is possible at some point the gaming group might form a 40K team and run some jerk power gamer net lists against each other so we can attend some local tourneys  (facing the store trolls who will be running unpainted stuff with the BoLS list of the week *shudder*) ... but if we as a group do it together and work as a team to get better that might be fun (at least for a couple of months or so ... then it will be time to take a 40K break and do some WHFB 8th for awhile). 

4 comments:

Mike Howell said...

That that is a foot-sloggin' horde. Let me guess... the Dr. Pepper can was proxy for a Broadside?

The Lord of Excess said...

LOL ... having had endless crazy pop can and coffee can proxy wars I can see how one would think that was a proxy ... actually it was just simply a Dr. Pepper can that snuck into the shot. My opponent's stuff might not be painted ... but thankfully it was all WYSIWYG :)

Will said...

Awesome u got to play again after so long. I miss tabletop. :(

Baconfat said...

You should have received Victory Points for fielding a quarter of the table in painted Boyz.

One of the Tau vehicles looks like a Diet Dr Pepper.